For the Tofu:
- Slice the tofu along the short edge into 8 pieces. In a shallow baking dish (e.g. 9×9″), combine the lemon juice, olive oil, and spices to form a paste.
- Add the tofu pieces a few at a time, and toss them around to coat with the marinade. Stack in piles of 2-3 pieces each and continue until everything is coated. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. When it is hot, toss each piece of tofu again in the marinade, then place on the grill. Cook each side for 4-5 minutes, until lightly charred.
For the Romaine:
- Cut each romaine heart in half through the core. Rinse and dry well, in a salad spinner. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, and evenly brush over the cut side of the hearts, using a pastry brush.
- Grill alongside the tofu, cut-side down, for about 5 minutes, until lightly charred.
- Serve the tofu and romaine with some cooked barley for a well-rounded meal!
I used the shrink-wrapped super firm tofu from Trader Joe’s. If you use regular boxed tofu, you may want to press it first to remove some of the water.
Serve alongside a portion of quick-cook barley, quinoa, or your favorite whole grain.
- Category: Tofu
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: romaine, tofu, paprika, vegetarian, entree