If you haven’t made ratatouille before, give our recipe a try. It’s a simple, straightforward meal that’s easy to make, and filled with delicious vegetables.
- 3 tablespoons plus 3 teaspoons olive oil (4 tablespoons total)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 eggplant, cubed (about 2–2 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced (about 2–2 1/2 cups)
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Saute the onion until it becomes translucent, stirring occasionally for about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Transfer to a large bowl and set aside. Add eggplant to the pan. Saute for about 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer eggplant from the pan to the large bowl with the onion.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to the pan. When it’s hot, add the zucchini. Cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and add to the bowl with the other vegetables.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to the pan. When it’s hot, add the bell peppers. Cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and add to the bowl with the other cooked vegetables.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the pan and allow it to heat up. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add all of the vegetables in the bowl back to the saucepan, along with the herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and fork tender.
- Serve immediately over couscous or your favorite cooked grain.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: ratatouille, zucchini, eggplant, tomato