Here’s a hearty spiced vegetarian soup with lentils, mushrooms, and potatoes, all served in a sourdough bread bowl.
- 2 cups uncooked small green lentils
- 9 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 9–10 small yellow potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 veggie sausages, optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mini sourdough bread boules, optional
- Combine the lentils, broth, and bay leaf in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and cook partially covered for 20 minutes.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add the carrots, celery, and onion in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, stirring often, until they start to brown. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Add the potatoes, mushrooms, and browned veggies to the pot with the lentils. Stir to combine. Mix in the spices. Cook at a steady boil for another 20 minutes or so, until the potatoes and lentils are soft.
- While the soup is cooking, slice each sausage, if using, in half moons. Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in the same pan you used for the vegetables. Add the sausages. Cook over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes, tossing often, until the slices are evenly browned.
- Add the rosemary, soy sauce, and browned sausages to the soup pot and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If using the bread bowls, use a serrated knife to cut a circle in the top of each sourdough boule, kind of like you would a pumpkin. Remove the top, then pull out some of the bread inside to make a bowl without tearing through the crust.
- Ladle the soup into each bowl and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: vegetarian recipes, mushrooms, lentils, bread bowl, comfort food