Packed with sweet roasted squash, pistachios, and smoky chili powder, these flavorful patties take veggie burgers to the next level.
- 2 small winter squash (about 3 pounds), such as hubbard or delicata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (or gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup diced shallot (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped raw unsalted pistachios
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder blend
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel, seed, and dice the squash into 1/2-inch cubes. You’ll end up with about 3 cups. Toss the squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. Spread the cubes out onto the parchment paper in a single layer.
- Roast, tossing once halfway through, until the squash is tender and a sharp knife slides right through the flesh, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and re-line the baking sheet with a fresh piece of parchment paper.
- Allow the squash to cool slightly, then add the oats, flour, onion, pistachios, egg, chili powder, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the bowl. Mash until thoroughly combined.
- Using a 1/3-cup scoop as your guide, form the veggie mixture into six flat, burger-like patties and arrange them on the parchment paper. Drizzle evenly with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake, flipping the patties once halfway through, until the outsides are crisp and lightly golden-brown, about 30-35 minutes.
- Serve hot on hamburger buns with your choice of toppings, or with a dollop of sour cream on a bed of fresh greens.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: winter squash, veggie patties, meatless