Zucchini mushroom pepper “boats” with mozzarella are a simple and satisfying way to make the most of your fresh summer produce this year.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 medium zucchini squash
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 5 baby bella or 7 cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Grease a 9-by-13-inch pan with the melted coconut oil.
- Slice zucchini vertically to make 3 or 4 slices from each one. Lay slices (skin side up for end pieces) in the prepared pan in a single layer without overlapping. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, remaining salt and pepper, and red chili flakes. Saute for about 10 minutes, until golden and soft. Remove from heat.
- Remove pan from oven, flip squash slices over carefully, add mushroom mixture on top of each, and top with mozzarella slices. Broil for 5 minutes on high, until melted and bubbly on top. Serve immediately.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop/Baking
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: vegetarian, zucchini, mushroom, mozzarella, pepper