Need a creative way to get your greens? These savory creamed collards are silky smooth, garlicky, and indulgently delicious.
- 2 large bunches collard greens (about 3 pounds), stemmed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Prepare an ice bath. In a large pot of salted boiling water, blanch the collard greens until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove with tongs and transfer to the ice bath.
- When they’re cool enough to handle, squeeze out as much moisture as you can. Finely chop the leaves into strips. You’ll end up with about 1 1/2-2 cups chopped greens.
- In a large pan over medium-low heat, add the butter and swirl to coat the pan. Once it begins to foam lightly, add the onions and garlic. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add the cream and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Fold in the greens, remaining salt and pepper, cheese, and nutmeg. Simmer until greens are tender and fully coated in the cream sauce, about 5 more minutes. Season with additional salt to taste if desired, and serve warm.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Southern, Vegetables
Keywords: collard greens, creamed collards, Southern, side dish