Crunch into these golden rounds for a crispy treat. Served with a light, citrusy dip, this fried zucchini is a satisfying, salty snack.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lime (or your choice of citrus)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups soda water
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (or regular unseasoned breadcrumbs)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, lime zest and juice, parsley, cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Slowly add the soda water, whisking as you pour to make sure there aren’t any lumps, until the mixture resembles a thin pancake batter.
- Dip the zucchini rounds a few at a time into the wet batter and then into the breadcrumbs, and press to adhere. Repeat with the remaining rounds and set the prepared zucchini aside on a plate.
- Prepare a paper towel-lined plate near the stovetop.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepot or Dutch oven, heat about 1 inch of oil over medium heat until it reaches 350°F. You’ll know the oil is ready when you drip in a small amount of the batter and it bubbles immediately.
- Working in batches so you don’t crowd the pan and lower the temperature of the oil, carefully drop in several zucchini rounds at a time. When the bottoms turn golden brown, in about 30-45 seconds, flip them over and cook the other side until golden.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove and transfer to the paper towel-lined plate to sop up any excess oil. Sprinkle them with the remaining salt while they’re still hot.
- Serve warm, with the citrus sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Vegetable
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Appetizer
Keywords: zucchini, fried, frying, appetizer, panko, citrus