For a quick side dish that’s satisfying and savory, try this asparagus bathed in butter and garlic, and garnished with toasted almonds. Get the recipe now.
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), tough ends trimmed
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Add the almonds to a large, dry skillet and place it over medium-low heat. Shaking the pan and tossing the almonds occasionally to promote even browning, cook until golden and lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil and prepare a large bowl of ice water nearby.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the asparagus to the boiling water. Blanch the asparagus until slightly softened and vibrant green, about 1 minute (or 90 seconds if the stalks are particularly thick).
- Immediately transfer them to the ice bath for 1 minute (which shocks them and stops the cooking process). Remove the asparagus from the ice water and pat them dry.
- Add the butter to the skillet you toasted the almonds in, place over medium heat, and swirl to coat the pan. When the butter begins to foam and sizzle, add the garlic and asparagus. Saute until the garlic is very fragrant and the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving platter, top with the toasted almonds, and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Side Dish
Keywords: garlic, asparagus, amandine, almond, butter