Vegetarian potato fritters with roasted zucchini cucumber corn salad are an easy way to use up extra squash that’s ideal for the summertime.
For the Roasted Squash:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 pound yellow squash or zucchini, sliced into rounds (about 3 medium zucchini)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Tomato Cucumber Corn Salad:
- 2 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumbers
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Fritters:
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Cumin Dill Yogurt Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2–3 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- To roast the squash, preheat the oven to 375˚F and add the coconut oil to a rimmed baking sheet. Add the zucchini or your choice of summer squash, salt, and pepper. Toss together to distribute everything evenly, then spread the zucchini out in an even layer. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, tossing halfway through, or until soft and golden. Remove from the oven and place zucchini on a plate. Set aside. Keep the oven on.
- Fill a large pot with enough water to cover the corn. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat and add the corn. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until corn is cooked through. The kernels should still be firm and not mushy. Remove cobs to a plate to cool. Once cool enough to handle, slice kernels from the cobs with a knife and set aside.
- Next, place the grated potatoes in a tea towel or cheese cloth. Squeeze over a sink to strain out as much water as possible (it’ll be a lot).
- Grease 2 baking sheets with about 1 teaspoon of coconut oil each. Scoop piles of the potato mixture on top, leaving about 1 inch in between and flattening each one. For mini fritters, make the mounds about a tablespoon in size. For medium-sized fritters, make large mounds that are 2 to 3 tablespoons in size, still flattening them as much as possible. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden, and flip. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until golden and crispy. Remove from oven and transfer from the pan to a serving platter.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked corn kernels with the remaining ingredients for the tomato cucumber corn salad. Stir together, taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cumin, dill, and salt. Taste and add salt as needed..
- To assemble the appetizers, layer a potato fritter with roasted squash, then tomato cucumber corn salad, and drizzle or top with a dollop of cumin dill yogurt. Serve immediately.
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Appetizers
Keywords: potato, fritter, zucchini, tomato, cucumber, vegetarian