A new take on potatoes, our mashed potato fritters with red pepper relish are an appetizer that gives your favorite spuds a whole new look.
For the Fritters:
- 4–6 russet potatoes, peeled and diced (or 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
For the Relish:
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red bell peppers, finely diced
- 1/4 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp agave syrup
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until tender, approximately 10-15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Mash, leaving them a bit chunky in texture. If you are working with leftover mashed potatoes, skip this step.
- Add egg yolks, cilantro, onion, cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Shape the mixture into small patties. Arrange on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or freeze for at least 10-15 minutes to chill before cooking.
- While the patties chill, make the relish. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and onion. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Cook the vegetables until they begin to soften, approximately 3-4 minutes. Stir in balsamic vinegar and agave. Cook until the liquid evaporates, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- When ready to cook, place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish, and coat each patty on all sides.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties in batches, approximately 4 to 5 at a time, until browned on both sides, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve with pepper relish.
- Category: Fritters
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Appetizers
Keywords: potato, mashed potato, red pepper, relish