These hearty buttermilk buckwheat waffles are a nutritious spin on a breakfast classic. Crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, they go perfectly with fruit on top and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated pure cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Any additional toppings of choice (optional)
- Preheat waffle maker according to manufacturer’s directions, and preheat oven to 175°F. In a large bowl, combine buckwheat flour, raw sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, egg, canola oil, and almond extract. Next, add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into waffle maker and cook according to your machine’s directions. As each waffle is finished, you can place it directly on the rack in the preheated oven to get a little crispier and to keep warm.
- Repeat with all of the remaining batter. Serve with blueberries, banana slices, maple syrup, and any additional toppings of choice. Enjoy immediately.
Waffle size and cook time depends on your appliance – adjust accordingly.
Nutritional information below does not include syrup or optional toppings.
- Category: Waffles
- Method: Waffle Maker
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: gluten-free, waffles, blueberry, banana, buckwheat, buttermilk