Made with whole grain spelt flour, these Belgian waffles are crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and a bit on the healthier side.
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup whole grain spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat Belgian waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla, buttermilk, and melted butter until they’re well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the buttermilk mixture.
- Add egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer and whip with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form, being careful not to over-mix. Gently fold egg whites into the batter.
- Spoon about one-fifth of the batter onto the hot iron (or whatever quantity is recommended according to the manufacturer’s instructions), close, and cook until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter and serve with maple syrup, or your favorite toppings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 mintues
- Category: Waffle
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: Belgian waffle, breakfast, spelt