With holiday music in the air, the gift of mulled wine mix in a jar alongside a few special bottles of red is the best way to bring the joy of the season to someone you care for.
For the Mix:
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped candied citrus peel (orange, lemon, and lime)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 dried bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (or 1/4 teaspoon pre-ground)
- 1 medium whole vanilla pod
- 2 whole star anise
For the Mulled Wine:
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 bottles dry red wine (1500 mL)
- 1 orange (if omitting candied peel)
- 1 lemon (if omitting candied peel)
- 1 lime (if omitting candied peel)
To Make the Mix:
- In a pint-sized mason jar, layer the sugar, chopped candied citrus peel, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla pod, and whole star anise.
- Seal the jar and gift with 2 bottles of dry red wine and a small bottle of orange juice.
- If you opt to skip the candied citrus peel, you can include an orange, a lemon, and a lime with your gift presentation instead.
To Make the Mulled Wine (with Candied Citrus Peel):
- Halve the vanilla bean pod lengthwise.
- In a large saucepan, combine the orange juice with the mulled wine mix and vanilla pod, and place over medium heat. Add just enough red wine to cover the sugar mixture.
- Simmer gently until the sugar dissolves completely, stirring occasionally. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Keep your mix at a rolling boil for about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently until it’s thickened and syrupy.
- When thickened, turn the heat down to low, and add the remainder of the wine. Heat gently for about 5 minutes, then ladle into glasses and serve. Don’t boil the wine in this step, as you’ll burn off the alcohol.
To Make the Mulled Wine (Without Candied Citrus Peel):
- Peel half of the lemon, half of the lime, and the entire orange. Remove as much pith from the peeled pieces as possible.
- Follow the instructions as directed above, adding the citrus peels to the saucepan along with the other ingredients.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Christmas
Keywords: Christmas, mulled wine, hot beverage, cocktail