Learn to make your own beautiful artisan loaves of sourdough bread at home, with homemade sourdough starter.
- 100 grams active starter, bubbly from a recent feed
- 200 grams water, divided
- 100 grams whole wheat flour
- 200 grams all purpose flour
- 10 grams salt
- Mix together the starter, 100 grams of water, and the whole wheat flour. Let sit for 1 hour.
- Add the remaining 100 grams of water and the all-purpose flour. Stir to combine until the flour is fully hydrated. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the salt over the top of the dough and squeeze it in.
- Stretch and fold the dough, stretching one corner up at a time and folding the mixture in half.
- Perform 4 stretch and folds (completing 4 full cycles with one fold starting at each corner), every 20 minutes for 2 hours.
- After the final stretch and fold, let the dough rest for 3 hours.
- Shape the dough into a round and place in a floured bread basket or a colander lined with a well-floured towel. Let rest for 3 hours.
- Set the oven to 500°F and place a baking tray, cast iron skillet, or Dutch oven inside to preheat.
- When the oven has come up to temperature, carefully pull the tray out of the oven. Flip the dough seam-side down onto the hot tray. Score the top of the dough with a slice 1/2 inch deep and 3 inches long. Feel free to get creative, using cool designs for this cut!
- Return the tray to the oven, toss 2 ice cubes in the bottom of the oven to create steam, and decrease the heat to 475°F.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crust is dark auburn in color.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before slicing.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Sourdough
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Bread
Keywords: sourdough, sourdough starter, sourdough bread, fermentation