For a hearty appetizer to share, make our fresh artichokes stuffed with Italian sausage and topped with garlic breadcrumbs and cheese.
- 4 large fresh artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 pound raw Italian sausage
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Fill a large pot about 3/4 full with water, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- As the water is boiling, prepare the artichokes. With kitchen shears, cut off the pointy end of each individual leaf. With a knife, slice off the stem so that the artichoke can stand up straight, and slice off about an inch of the tip of the entire artichoke. Rub one half of the lemon on all exposed surfaces to prevent browning.
- Place the artichokes and lemon halves in the boiling water. Cover with a lid, and boil for 20 minutes until slightly tender. Drain the artichokes, and immediately shock them in a bowlful of ice water. Allow to cool until they are easy to handle.
- As the artichokes are cooling, toast the breadcrumbs. Heat a medium-sized pan on low heat. Add the butter and melt completely. Add the garlic cloves and cook until just fragrant without browning. Immediately add the breadcrumbs and toast for a minute or so until golden, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and mix in the rosemary. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Once the artichokes are cool enough, drain from the ice bath and place on a large cutting board or plate. Remove the inner center leaves and the hairy sections of the choke with a small metal spoon. Remove enough layers to create a space large enough to fill with the sausage.
- Mix together the sausage and diced onion in a bowl with your fingers. Divide the mixture and stuff the cavity of each prepared artichoke with the sausage, pressing down slightly and filling each to the top. You will use about 3/4 to 1 cup of the sausage mixture for each one.
- Divide the breadcrumb mixture evenly over the top of each artichoke, and fill some of the spaces in between the external leaf layers with some more breadcrumbs.
- Transfer the stuffed artichokes to a 13-by-9-inch baking pan. Pour the white wine and 1 cup of water into the pan. Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the sausage is cooked through. The internal temperature of the sausage should reach 160°F on a meat thermometer.
- Remove from the oven, and dispose of the aluminum foil. Sprinkle the tops of each artichoke with the grated cheese. Return to the oven, and bake for an additional 5 minutes to melt and brown the cheese.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the pan before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking/Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: artichoke, breadcrumb, cheese, Italian, sausage, Parmesan