Our 6-ingredient einkorn flour pita bread is a fun recipe to learn how to master for all kinds of sandwich fillings, from savory to sweet.
- 2 to 2 3/4 cups einkorn flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup warm water (roughly 90°F)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together 2 cups of einkorn flour, salt, and yeast. Pour in the honey and water. Using the dough hook, mix for 8-10 minutes until a soft, slightly elastic dough forms. If the dough is very sticky, gradually add more flour and continue to mix.
- Spread 1 tablespoon olive oil on the bottom and sides of a large bowl. With lightly floured hands, form the dough into a large ball and transfer to the oiled bowl, rolling the entire surface of the dough in the oil. Tightly cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap. Let ferment until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and gently punch it down to flatten. Divide into 12 equally sized pieces. With your hands, shape each piece into an even ball. Very lightly brush the tops of each ball in a very thin layer of olive oil. Cover the dough balls with a large towel and let proof for 20-30 minutes, until slightly expanded.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place an empty baking stone or a baking sheet in the oven to heat as you prepare the dough. With a rolling pin, roll each ball into a flat, 1/4-inch-thick circle about 4-5 inches in diameter. Dust the dough with flour if it’s too sticky when rolling.
- Working carefully, place 4 rounds on the hot pan and quickly return to the oven. Bake for about 4-5 minutes, until the pita has puffed and is showing some color, but still mostly pale. Repeat two more times with the remaining dough.
- Let the pitas cool for 10 minutes. Cut them one of two ways: leave whole by using a small knife to gently make a slit along part of the seam on the side, or divide in two by cutting completely in half along the top of the pita. Fill with your favorite sandwich items, and enjoy!
- Category: Flatbread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Bread
Keywords: flatbread, bread, pita, einkorn flour