Olive oregano bread is a tantalizingly aromatic recipe baked in a Dutch oven to obtain a beautiful golden-brown thin crust.
- 1 1/2 cups warm (110-115°F) water, divided
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for kneading and dusting
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup roughly sliced assorted pitted olives
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon pure, light, or refined olive oil, plus more for greasing
- Pour 1/4 cup warm water into a medium bowl. Evenly sprinkle the yeast and sugar onto the water, and whisk by hand to blend. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes, or until the yeast is activated and the mixture looks frothy.
- Whisk together the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Pour the activated yeast and the remaining water into the bowl.
- Mix together on medium speed until the dough is smooth and elastic, but still slightly sticky, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured work surface. Gently knead by hand the olives and herbs into the dough until completely incorporated, using flour as necessary to prevent excessive sticking, about 2-5 more minutes.
- Lightly grease a large bowl about triple the size of the dough with olive oil. Transfer the dough to the bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let the dough rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2-4 hours.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and punch it down. Shape it roughly into a ball, and cover completely with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a very tight ball by rolling it on the work surface between your palms, keeping the seam at the bottom.
- Liberally coat the bottom and sides of a large Dutch oven or a heavy ovenproof pot with a capacity of at least 5.5 quarts with olive oil.
- Place the dough seam-side down in the center of the pot and cover with the lid. Let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 1-3 hours.
- Position the oven rack in the center section. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Remove the lid of the Dutch oven and gently rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the surface of the dough. Score the bread with a sharp paring knife or bread dough razor with 2-4 slashes.
- Replace the lid and transfer to the hot oven. After 30 minutes of baking, remove the lid and reduce the oven temperature to 400°F. Continue baking until the bread has risen and is a deep golden brown on the exterior, about 20-30 more minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the oven. Immediately and carefully remove the bread from the Dutch oven. Place the bread onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dutch Oven
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Bread
Keywords: bread, olive, oregano, Dutch oven