Our easy-to-make bacon, tomato, and cheddar breakfast bake is a loaded, all-in-one breakfast recipe that will brighten up any morning.
- 1 pound sourdough (or a good quality gluten-free bread), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces bacon (or smoked turkey bacon)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups freshly diced, seeded tomatoes (or one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained and patted dry)
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (about 16 ounces)
- 4 green onions, green parts only, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F and adjust rack to middle position.
- In a large bowl, lightly toss the sourdough and butter. Spread out on a large baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until bread is golden, stirring halfway through.
- Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a large skillet until crisp.
- Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and pour out all of the fat from the pan except for 2 tablespoons. Roughly chop bacon and set aside.
- Add the yellow onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Pour the vegetable mixture into a large bowl along with the bread, bacon, cheese, green onion, and stock.
- Stir until incorporated and season well with sea salt. Spread the mixture in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the top is crispy.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Using a ladle, press 6 evenly-spaced indentations into the bread mixture. Crack an egg into each indentation.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until eggs are set, but yolks are still runny. Serve immediately.
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Stovetop/Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: breakfast, bacon, tomato, cheddar, sourdough bread, casserole