This crustless quiche cuts back on the carbs, but loads up on earthy mushrooms, nutty Gruyere, and oniony leeks for loads of flavor.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups mixed mushrooms (such as shiitake, oyster, and cremini), stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb, fronds reserved and roughly chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated fontina cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan or casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and saute, tossing occasionally until lightly browned, for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the leeks, fennel, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the leeks become slightly translucent and the mixture is very fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the veggies to cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the half-and-half, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the thyme. Fold in the mushroom mixture, half of the gruyere, and the fontina. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup gruyere on top.
- Bake until the top is lightly golden brown and the eggs are set, about 30-35 minutes (the internal temperature should read 160°F when checked with a thermometer).
- Remove from the oven. Allow the frittata to rest in the pan so the ingredients can set, about 10 minutes. Slice, garnish with the fennel fronds and a few fresh thyme leaves if you like, and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Breakfast and Brunch
Keywords: crustless quiche, frittata, mushroom, gruyere