For the most patriotic centerpiece, make an American flag cookie cake for your 4th of July festivities. It’s a fun recipe to celebrate the USA.
For the Cookie:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the Frosting and Decorating:
- 4 cups vanilla buttercream frosting
- 1 quart blueberries
- 2 quarts raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a rimmed half sheet baking pan with parchment paper, making sure to leave a bit of an overhang at the edges to form a sling for easy removal.
- Add butter and sugar for the cookie to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat together until light and fluffy on medium-high speed, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated between each addition. Add vanilla and lemon zest. Beat until combined.
- Gradually add flour and salt, and mix on medium speed until just combined, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add the dough to the prepared sheet pan. Press into an even layer.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes, until light golden brown. The center will look undercooked, but it will continue to cook in the hot pan after it is removed from the oven. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before removing and frosting.
- While the cookie is cooling, make the frosting if you haven’t already, or bring your store-bought frosting to room temperature
- Frost the cookie in a thick, even layer.
- To make the flag, use blueberries to make the “stars” section in the upper left corner. Arrange the berries in straight lines, with about 9 berries down and 6 berries across, depending on the size of the fruit. I like to alternate the starting points of each line to get more of a diamond shape between each of the blueberries. Refer to the photos for more of an idea of what that looks like.
- Then arrange the raspberries into evenly spaced stripes, forming horizontal lines across the rest of the cookie cake. You should have 8 stripes of raspberries total.
- Slice and serve.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Cakes
Keywords: Fourth of July, July 4th, Independence Day, Patriotic, Cake, Raspberries, Blueberries, Vanilla Cream Frosting, Sugar Cookie