Melt-in-your-mouth Old Fashioned Crumb Cakes are the classic streusel-topped cake you love, in individual servings that are perfect for dessert or breakfast.
For the Cake:
- Cooking oil spray or softened butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
For the Topping:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking oil or softened butter.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the oil, eggs, vanilla, and milk. Scatter the dry mixture over the top of the wet mixture, and stir to combine.
- Scoop batter into 12 muffin cups, to about 2/3 full.
- To make the topping, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl. Rub together with your fingers until the mix is crumbly. Sprinkle generously on top of the cakes, and flatten gently to make it stick.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.