Red velvet cake is a rich and dreamy dessert with an unforgettably gorgeous bright color. Serve up a slice!
- Cooking oil spray
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 cups frosting*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of 3 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper, and spray the entire pan with a nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the buttermilk, canola oil, red food coloring, and vanilla in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and salt at high speed. Add the eggs one at a time at medium-high speed, mixing fully after each egg. Scrape the bowl down and re-mix.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternate between adding the dry mixture and wet mixture until everything is incorporated, and a soft, thick batter forms.
- Divide evenly between the three prepared pans. Immediately bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with a few crumbs sticking to it.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 15 minutes before removing them, them allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the cake rounds are completely cool, frost and decorate as you wish!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: cake, red velvet cake, buttermilk, red velvet, Valentine's Day