Are you dreaming of a birthday cake that tastes like a giant, fluffy sugar cookie? Try this vanilla cake, covered in pink frosting and sprinkles. Read more.
For the Cake:
- Nonstick cooking oil spray
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pink food coloring, as needed
- Sprinkles, as needed
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans by generously greasing the bottoms and sides with cooking oil spray and lining the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Place the butter in a heatproof bowl and heat in the microwave until almost completely melted. Remove from the microwave and cool to room temperature.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Combine at a low speed.
- Staying at low speed, add the melted butter. Run the mixer for about one minute, or until thoroughly incorporated. The texture should resemble cornmeal.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. On low speed, slowly add the liquid mixture to dry ingredients in the stand mixer. Increase the speed to high and mix for one minute, until the batter is smooth and fluffy. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and mix briefly to incorporate.
- Divide the batter evenly into the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set the pans on a wire cooling rack to cool for about 30 minutes, then remove the cakes from the pans and return to the rack to finish cooling completely.
- Optional: with a serrated knife, carefully cut the cooled cake rounds in half to get four total layers.
For the Frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the softened butter on medium speed until it is smooth with no lumps.
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar in a separate bowl. Add one cup at a time to the butter, beating very well after each addition at medium speed.
- Add the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix on medium-high speed until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. If the frosting feels too stiff for decorating, add one additional tablespoon of heavy cream at a time and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the pink food coloring on medium-high, using a few drops at a time until you achieve your desired color.
- Immediately decorate the layers of the cake with the frosting, adding piping details along the top and and bottom around the edges, if desired. Decorate with sprinkles.
- Serve immediately, or store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: cake, vanilla, birthday