There’s nothing like a slice of moist, and flavorful strawberry cake to lighten up a dull week, made with fresh fruit and a touch of lemon, almond, and vanilla.
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, softened (14 Tbsp)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, halved
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a electric hand mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. This will take approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Mix in vanilla and almond extracts until incorporated. Add egg yolks in one at a time, beating in each one before adding the next.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until they form firm peaks.
- Fold half of the flour mixture and half of the egg whites into the batter. Once combined, fold in the remaining flour mixture and egg whites.
- Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Scrape the batter into the pan, spread with a spatula to form an even layer.
- Arrange the strawberries on top, spaced evenly over the surface of the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in the pan before dusting with confectioners sugar.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: strawberry, cake, summer