Looking for an easy way to incorporate healthier ingredients in your baked goods? Our whole grain chocolate cake is a great place to start.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee, warm
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper, and lightly spray again.
- Sift together the sugar, flour, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients. With the paddle attachment, mix the ingredients together on medium speed until a thick batter forms. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, and briefly mix again.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the warm coffee to the batter. Increase the speed to medium, and continue mixing for another 2-3 minutes to create a thin, smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean with a few crumbs attached.
- Cool in the pans for 30 minutes. Turn the cake out of the pans onto a cooling rack, remove the parchment paper, turn right side up, and allow to cool completely.
- Decorate and serve!
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: whole wheat flour, whole grain, chocolate