When guests gather in your home for the holidays, make sure you have sugar and spice candied nuts on hand for all your snacking needs.
- 1 cup turbinado or demerara sugar
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 lb raw walnut halves
- 1/2 lb raw pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 300˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix sugar, salt, cayenne, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl, making sure there are no lumps. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment, or by hand with a whisk, beat egg white and water on medium speed until frothy but not stiff, about 1 minute. Add walnuts and pecans, and stir to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle with the sugar mixture, and toss until evenly coated. Spread in a single layer on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and, using a spatula, gently separate nuts to make sure they are not touching to prevent them from sticking together. Cool completely on the baking sheet.
- When completely cool, pour the nuts into a bowl and serve or store in an airtight container. Nuts can be stored for 3-4 weeks.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Christmas
Keywords: candied nuts, pecans, walnuts, holiday, Christmas