For a superb gift for friends and family, bring out the best vegan chocolate pecan toffee recipe. It’s the ideal blend of sweet and salty. Read more now.
- 3/4 cup raw pecan halves
- 1 cup vegan granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 oz vegan chocolate, at least 60% dark
- Toast the pecans for a few minutes in a skillet on the stove over medium heat, until fragrant. Remove from the pan and set aside. Finely chop when they are cool.
- Make a 10-inch-square shell out of aluminum foil, with sides that are 1 inch high. You can find more detailed instructions for doing this below. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine the sugar, margarine, and water in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir constantly, until the margarine is melted. Test with a candy thermometer and let the mixture cook until it reaches exactly 305˚F, the “hard crack” stage. Watch it carefully – you cannot let the mixture go above 305˚F.
- Remove from the heat immediately and stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour into the foil shell. The mixture will spread, but don’t worry if it does not reach the sides. Allow to cool for at least 45 minutes at room temperature, or until hardened and cooled completely.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate over medium heat. When very smooth and melted, pour over the top of the toffee mixture. Use an icing spreader or or knife to smooth the top and cover the toffee.
- Sprinkle the nuts on top, pressing down slightly to ensure they adhere.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool and harden completely, about 30 minutes. When ready to serve, break into single-serving-sized pieces, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Candy
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan desserts, toffee, chocolate, pecan, dairy-free