Craving a comforting blend of chicken, cheese, and mushrooms? This creamy baked chicken with a crispy cracker topping will hit the spot.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock, warmed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely crushed Ritz crackers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Season 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and place in a shallow bowl or on a plate. Season the chicken on both sides with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, and shake to remove any excess. Set aside on a plate.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter and swirl to coat the pan. When the butter begins to foam and sizzle, add the chicken breasts and sear until golden brown on each side (but not all the way cooked through), about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking or casserole dish and arrange in a single layer.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, then add the onions and mushrooms and saute until very fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 2 tablespoons flour. Whisk, stirring often, until the flour begins to melt into the mushrooms and onions and turns a light blonde color, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the warm chicken stock, whisking vigorously, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom, and making sure there aren’t any lumps. Simmer, stirring often, until the sauce has slightly reduced and thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the heavy cream.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour the creamy mushroom sauce over the chicken breasts and evenly top with the cheese and crushed crackers. Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue to bake until the chicken is cooked through, the cheese is melted, and the cracker crumbs are golden brown, about 5-10 more minutes.
- Divide the chicken and sauce among plates and garnish with parsley before serving.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop/Baking
- Cuisine: Main Course
Keywords: chicken, mushroom, cheddar