Juicy chicken rolls bursting with sweet and savory ingredients are a light bite that packs an enormous punch of flavor.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons raisins, soaked in water
- 1 bunch fresh Italian or curly leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, for dusting
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until softened and lightly golden. Add the garlic, and season the mixture with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Drain the raisins, rough chop, and add them to the onion and garlic mixture along with the toasted pine nuts. Turn off the heat, and stir in the chopped parsley. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Put the chicken breasts in individual plastic bags and use a cast iron pan or a meat tenderizing mallet to pound them until they’re about ¼ inch thick. Generously season them on both sides with salt and pepper, and allow them to come to room temperature.
- Lay the pounded chicken on a cutting board or clean work surface. Evenly distribute the onion mixture and the cheese on the long end closest to you. Roll up each chicken breast as tightly as you can, and then dust with flour.
- In a large frying pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Sear the rolls until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side, and then transfer them to the oven.
- Bake until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reaches 155°F, about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to rest on a cutting board, then slice into circular rolls so that the stuffing is exposed in the middle of each one.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop, Baking
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: chicken roulade, pine nuts, raisins, parsley, stuffed chicken