These grilled and stuffed eggplant rolls overflowing with cheese and herbs are a cozy red-sauce creation you’ll want to curl up with.
- 6 medium eggplant (about 4 pounds)
- Coarse salt
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves (or 3/4 tablespoon dried), divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Trim the ends off the eggplant, and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet (using several if you need to), and sprinkle generously with salt. Set aside.
- Add the ricotta, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 3 tablespoons fresh basil (or 3/4 tablespoon dried), the parsley, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (1/2 tablespoon fresh), the red pepper flakes, the lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper to a large bowl. Stir together until thoroughly combined. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, then add the eggs and stir to combine.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry, then drizzle them with 4 tablespoons of olive oil and season them with black pepper. Grill until tender and lightly charred, about 3 minutes per side. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Drizzle a 9×13” baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then spoon in 1/2 cup marinara sauce.
- Lay one eggplant slice on a cutting board and spread it with a heaping tablespoon of the ricotta mixture. Starting from one of the short sides, roll up the slice in a tight cylinder and place it into the baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Pour the remaining marinara over the rolled eggplant and evenly distribute the fresh mozzarella slices on top. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan, oregano, and olive oil.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake, uncovered, until the cheese is bubbly, about 10 more minutes. Garnish with the remaining basil before serving, or omit the garnish if using dried.
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Grilling, Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: eggplant, rollatini, vegetarian, marinara, mozzarella