Ready in just 30 minutes, our cheddar garlic biscuits are exactly what you need to round out your evening meal. They’re bursting with savory, cheesy flavor.
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (or a 50:50 combination of white and whole-grain spelt)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups tightly packed grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Coarse kosher salt, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, pepper, garlic powder, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Add the butter and, using a pastry cutter or two forks or knives, work it into the dough. The mixture should look like coarse sand.
- Add the cheese and stir to thoroughly incorporate it into the dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Add to the dough and stir until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Use two tablespoons, a small ice cream scoop, or a 1/4-cup measuring cup to scoop the dough in equally sized portions, and drop it in mounds one by one onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a biscuit comes out clean.
- Category: Biscuits
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: cheddar, garlic, biscuit