Homemade einkorn snickerdoodle cookies have the perfect soft and chewy and texture, balanced by the crispy cinnamon and sugar coating.
For the Cookies:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose einkorn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the Cinnamon-Sugar Coating:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy on high speed, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the milk, almond extract, and egg yolk. Combine until smooth on medium speed, another 30 seconds.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Adding a few scoopfuls of the dry ingredients at a time to the butter mixture, and blend at low speed just until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Do not overmix.
- Scrape the dough from the sides of the bowl and the paddle attachment. Transfer the dough to a large clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes to slightly chill and firm the dough.
- As the dough is chilling, make the sugar coating by whisking together the sugar and cinnamon in a separate small bowl.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Use a medium-sized cookie scooper to portion out even amounts of dough (about two tablespoons each). Gently roll the dough in your hands to create a smooth ball. Roll each ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to completely coat the exterior with a thin layer.
- Place each mound on the prepared baking sheets, 6 per sheet with about 2 inches of space in between each.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until cracked and slightly puffy. The cookies will still be very soft and white around the edges, but will continue to harden out of the oven.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: einkorn flour, cinnamon, snickerdoodle, cookie