They may look like ice cream in cones, but take another look. These tiny treats are actually cupcakes topped with swirls of buttercream.
- 24 flat-bottomed ice cream cones
- 1 batch cake batter for two 8-inch cake rounds
- Double batch buttercream frosting, about 8 cups
- Assorted sprinkles and garnishes
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place an empty ice cream cone upright in the cavity of two 12-cup muffin pans.
- Prepare the cake batter according to the recipe instructions.
- Evenly divide the batter into the ice cream cones, filling each cone a little more than half of the way full. There should be about a 1/2-inch clearance between the batter and the top of the cone to give enough space for the cake to rise.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached. Carefully remove the pans from the oven. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pans before transferring to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Prepare the frosting according to the recipe instructions.
- To decorate soft-serve-style: Place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe two full swirls of frosting on top of the cupcake.
- To decorate scoop-style: With a mini cookie scoop, scoop out the frosting and place directly on top of the cake.
- Top with sprinkles and other garnishes. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: ice cream, cupcakes, cones