Want to serve perfect cake pops for a party? Need some help with the process? Learn all the basics on how to make them with Foodal’s step-by-step guide.
- 2 8-inch baked and cooled cake rounds, any flavor
- 1/2 cup icing, any flavor
- 3 12-ounce bags of chocolate candy wafers, assorted colors
- Vegetable shortening
- Sprinkles and decorations, assorted colors
- 20–30 skinny wooden lollipop sticks
- Large foam board
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, crumble the cake rounds until no large chunks remain.
- By hand or with the paddle attachment, mix in the icing a little at a time, starting off with just a couple of tablespoons. Mix until a dense, but still crumbly, dough forms that you can mold into balls with your hands. Be careful that the mixture does not get too soft and moist. You may not need to use all of the icing. Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes, until chilled.
- Measure about 2 tablespoons of the cake mixture and roll into a tight, uniform ball with your hands. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- When ready to dip in chocolate, remove the chilled balls from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate candy wafers according to package instructions. If it looks too thick for dipping, mix in vegetable shortening one teaspoon at a time to thin it. Let cool slightly, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Dip a lollipop stick in the melted chocolate, and insert in the cake ball, pushing halfway to stop at the center. Allow to harden at room temperature, or place back in the refrigerator for a couple minutes.
- Dip the cake ball in the chocolate until completely covered. Gently tap the stick against the edge of the bowl to remove excess melted chocolate.
- If using decorations on the base layer, immediately apply before the coating sets.
- Stick each pop upright in the foam block to harden and set. Wait for 15 minutes to apply another layer of decorations. Allow to set completely before serving immediately, or storing in the refrigerator until ready to serve. These can be stored for up to one week.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking, No-Cook
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: cake, icing, sprinkles