For a dessert that will never fail, our foolproof cheesecake with pecan crust is the only sweet treat you ever need to make.
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup whole grain spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Sucanat or granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- 6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 40 oz cream cheese, softened (5 8-ounce packages)
- 1 3/4 cups sucanat or granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp whole-grain spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz melted dark chocolate, for garnish (optional)
To Make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, stir to combine the flour, sugar, pecans, and lemon zest. Cut in the cubed butter until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and vanilla. Add this to the flour mixture, and stir to combine.
- Press mixture onto the bottom of prepared springform pan. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325˚F.
To Make the Filling:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed until smooth. Gradually beat in the Sucanat or sugar on medium speed.
- Add the flour, vanilla, and salt. Beat to combine on medium speed.
- Combine eggs and egg yolks in a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Pour into the cream cheese mixture, and beat on medium speed until just combined. Beat in heavy cream just until combined.
- Pour filling into the crust in the springform pan.
- Double wrap the bottom of the springform pan with heavy duty foil, making sure it is tightly sealed to prevent water from getting in the pan. Place the springform pan into a larger baking pan with high walls. Pour very hot water into the pan until it’s about 3/4 inch deep. Make sure the water doesn’t come up higher than the foil.
- Bake cheesecake on the middle rack at 325˚F for about 1 hour, or until the center is almost set (jiggle the pan to check; filling should move only slightly).
- Remove from oven. Cool in the pan on a wire rack to room temperature, for about 1 hour. Place in the refrigerator overnight to chill.
- When ready to serve, run a knife around the edge before removing sides of the pan.
- To top with chocolate, heat in a double boiler or in the microwave until melted and smooth, stirring occasionally. Drizzle over top of cheesecake. Refrigerate until hardened, about 15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Category: Cheesecake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: cheesecake, foolproof cheesecake, pecans, pecan crust