Babka is a soft and sweet yeasted bread, braided like challah and filled with a rich chocolate cinnamon filling.
For the Dough:
- 1 recipe Brioche Dough, chilled in the refrigerator overnight
- All-purpose flour, for dusting and rolling
- Cooking oil spray
For the Chocolate Filling:
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup room temperature unsalted butter, cubed (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
To Make the Chocolate Filling:
- Place the chocolate, butter, and cinnamon in the top bowl of a double boiler. Heat the water, and melt the chocolate mixture until everything is melted and combined, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside and allow to cool completely and thicken slightly, about 15-20 minutes.
- While the chocolate filling is cooling, line two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with parchment paper, allowing 2 inches of overhang on each of the long sides. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Set the chilled brioche dough on a well-floured work surface. Cut the dough equally in half and set aside.
- Roll out each portion of dough into a 16-inch square.
- Using an offset spatula, spread half of the cooled chocolate filling in an even layer on each dough square, leaving a border of about 1/4 inch around the edge.
- Starting at the edge nearest you, tightly roll up each dough square into a tight log, like a cinnamon roll. Finish with the seam on the bottom, touching the work surface.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the logs in half across the entire length of the roll. Place the cut sides facing upwards.
- Pinch the two halves together at one end, and twist the two pieces together to form a tight spiral, like a double-helix. Pinch the ends together.
- Carefully transfer each loaf to the prepared pans. Proof at room temperature until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- When the loaves are almost finished proofing, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the loaves in the center of the oven for about 30-45 minutes, until puffed and well browned. Let cool slightly, then use the parchment paper to lift the them out of the pans and onto a cooling rack set over a sheet pan. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into slices. Enjoy warm, or cool completely.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: babka, bread, chocolate, cinnamon