Our rustic plum galette is a no-frills dessert featuring juicy, tender stone fruit in a flaky and buttery crust.
For the Dough:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
For the Plum Filling:
- 6–8 ripe plums (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/8 cup turbinado sugar
To Make the Dough:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut the cold butter cubes into the flour mixture until the butter pieces are pea-size and coated entirely in flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond extract and cold water. Knead the liquid one tablespoon at a time into the flour-butter mixture with your hands until a thick and cohesive dough just begins to form.
- Form the dough into a flat disc. Cover the disc completely in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 45 minutes in the refrigerator.
To Assemble and Bake:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Slice each plum into 8 pieces, discarding the pits, and transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle the flour, sugar, lemon zest, and spices over the plums and gently toss together until the plums are evenly coated. Set aside.
- Remove the dough from the plastic wrap and place on a lightly floured work surface. Dust the top of the dough with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll and flatten the dough into a circular shape about 12 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Carefully transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange the plums in a pile in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of space around the edges. Fold the edges toward the center, pleating them around the plum filling.
- Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon cold water. Brush the crust with the egg wash and lightly sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Immediately transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through, until the fruit starts bubbling and the dough turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Cool the galette on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. Serve while still warm, or transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely and serve at room temperature. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Galette
- Cuisine: Pastry
Keywords: plum, galette, cinnamon, nutmeg