Miniature and adorable, these sweet and tart vegan key lime whoopie pies are the cutest sandwiches you’ll eat this summer.
For the Cake:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegan granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated key lime zest
For the Frosting and Assembling:
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover one sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar). Whisk very well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, applesauce, vegetable oil, water, vinegar, vanilla, and lime zest.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, and stir to combine until a thick batter forms.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out and drop 16 small mounds of the batter on the prepared cookie tray, leaving about an inch of space between each mound.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes, until puffy and lightly golden along the edge. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before transferring the cakes to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Icing and Assembly:
- To the prepared frosting, stir in the key lime juice and zest until completely incorporated.
- Using a spatula or piping bag fitted with a round tip, cover the bottoms of 8 cooled cake rounds with a thick layer of frosting. Top each frosted half with the remaining 8 plain cake rounds. If using, garnish the edges of the frosting with the ground graham crackers.
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to a week. When ready to serve, leave out at room temperature for 10 minutes to soften the frosting slightly.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: whoopie pie, cake, dessert, key lime, vegan, vegetarian