There’s no need to go out to a restaurant for a gooey appetizer when you can make easy spinach artichoke dip at home.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 5 oz frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 13.75-oz cans artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and roughly chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 round 24-oz. boule loaves (pumpernickel or sourdough bread)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Coat a small skillet with the olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add garlic and onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain all of the water from the thawed spinach.
- In a large bowl, beat mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, and Parmesan with a handheld electric mixer or your stand mixer. Once smooth, add garlic and onion mixture, spinach, and artichokes, and stir to combine. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Remove the center of the loaf of bread, making a well that leaves a 1-inch border around the perimeter. Carefully peel off the top, and remove bite-sized chunks from the center, leaving a ½ to 1-inch layer on the bottom.
- Add the spinach mixture to the well in the bread. Place the bread bowl on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the dip is warmed through and the top begins to turn golden brown.
- While the dip is baking, roughly chop the bread you pulled from the center of the loaf and the additional loaf into bite-sized chunks. Transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet, spread in an even layer, and place in the oven for the last 5-7 minutes of baking to toast.
- Serve warm with toasted bread bites.
This dip can also be baked without a bread bowl, in a 2-quart baking dish for the same amount of time.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dips
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Appetizers
Keywords: spinach artichoke dip, bread bowl, sourdough, rye, pumpernickel