Creamy, dreamy, and loaded with sharp garlic and tart lemon, this silky homemade aioli is a French fry’s dream come true.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 ½– 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Using either a mortar and pestle or a cutting board and a sharp knife, pound (or chop) the garlic cloves with a pinch of salt until you create a paste. Set aside.
- In a sturdy bowl with a hefty bottom, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Once the eggs are emulsified and a uniform yellow, slowly begin adding a drop of oil at a time, vigorously whisking as you pour to keep the mixture thick.
- When the aioli has become very thick and stiff, continue to whisk while adding 1/4 teaspoon water and the lemon juice in a thin stream. Whisk until the mixture loosens up a bit.
- A few drops at a time, continue whisking in oil until the aioli comes together. Whisk in the garlic paste and fresh parsley. Season to taste with additional salt if necessary. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dips and Spreads
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Condiments
Keywords: aioli, garlic aioli, dip, garlic