There’s no need to hit the store for your ice cream fix. Enjoy a heaping bowl of creamy homemade Chocolate Rum Raisin instead.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together heavy cream, whole milk, and 1/8 cup sugar. Bring to a low boil, then remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolks and remaining 1/8 cup sugar. Whisk together until smooth. Slowly add 1/4 cup of the heavy cream mixture to the egg mixture, whisking quickly to incorporate. Once well combined, add the egg mixture to the heavy cream mixture.
- Return to the stove and cook over medium heat until the mixture is thick and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in cocoa powder and chocolate, continuing to stir until the chocolate is melted. Allow to cool, then transfer the custard to a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic wrap touches the surface to prevent a film from forming. Chill completely in the freezer, approximately 2-3 hours.
- While the custard is chilling, soak raisins and dates in spiced rum in a bowl for 2 hours. Drain, and reserve the rum for another use if desired.
- Add the custard mixture to your ice cream machine. Churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. In the last 5 minutes of churning, add the raisins and dates.
- Chill overnight, or for a minimum of 6 hours before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: Dessert
Keywords: chocolate, rum raisin, spiced rum, raisin, date