Give all the vegan store-bought ice cream options a run for their money with our homemade vegan chocolate ice cream recipe.
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) unsweetened coconut cream
- 2/3 cup vegan granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces vegan 60-85% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Freeze the bowl of your ice cream machine for at least 24 hours before making the recipe.
- Whisk together the coconut milk, coconut cream, sugar, cocoa powder, agave nectar, and salt in a large saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Once it’s boiling, cook for an additional minute on high heat while continuously whisking.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate and vanilla. Whisk until the chocolate pieces have melted completely.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the mixture in the pot for 30 seconds. Alternatively, add the mixture to a blender and blend for 30 seconds on high.
- Let the mixture sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to cool, stirring occasionally, before transferring the mixture to a large airtight container. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours, or until the mixture is completely cold and has thickened.
- When ready to churn, stir the base and add it to the ice cream maker. Churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to a clean airtight container or a loaf pan. Cover and freeze for 4-6 hours, until firm.
- Before serving, leave the ice cream out at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften slightly for scooping.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Ice Cream Maker, Freezing
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan, chocolate, ice cream, coconut milk, coconut cream