Do you have 30 minutes? That means you have time to make this speedy chicken tikka masala. The creamy dish is better than take-out and it’s dairy free.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 large)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt oil or margarine, and tilt the pan to coat the bottom evenly. Add ginger, onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together cayenne, cumin, garam masala, coriander, and turmeric.
- Once the onions have begun to caramelize and turn golden, add the spice mixture, letting it hit the pan directly and toast. Stir to coat the onion in the spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and toss to coat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to break down.
- Add the coconut milk, cooked chicken, salt, and sugar. Stir to combine. Continue cooking for about 5 more minutes, to let the flavors meld and the liquids reduce down slightly. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: chicken tikka masala, tikka masala, leftover chicken, garam masala