Homemade shredded chicken tacos are an easy dinner the entire family will love. Served with roasted tomatillo salsa verde, it’s a classic.
For the Chicken:
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 1 to 1 ½ lbs)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
For the Tacos:
- Homemade salsa verde
- 12 corn tortillas
- Your favorite toppings
- Stir together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, ground cumin, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Add chicken to an Instant Pot or slow cooker. Sprinkle over the homemade taco seasoning. Pour over chicken broth.
- For the Instant Pot, cook for 20 minutes on high pressure. Allow to release pressure naturally. For the slow cooker, cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot or slow cooker to a cutting board. Shred with two forks. Set aside and keep warm.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the roasted salsa verde. You can find the recipe here.
- Warm the tortillas. Top with chicken and roasted salsa verde. If you like, add pico de gallo, queso fresco, and cilantro, or your choice of toppings. Serve with hot sauce and lime wedges.
- Category: Tacos
- Method: Slow Cooker, Broil
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: tacos, chicken, tomatillo, salsa verde