Learn how to make vegan whole wheat pumpkin muffins, flavored with hearty oat flour, pure maple syrup, and tasty fall spices.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegan granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree or homemade puree
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 12 pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and lightly grease two muffin pans.
- Mix together the flax seed and water in a small bowl to make a flax egg and set aside to thicken for a few minutes.
- Combine the flours, spices, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine the maple syrup, oil, non-dairy milk, and pumpkin in a separate large bowl. Stir with a whisk until combined. Add the flax egg and whisk again.
- Toss the chopped pecans with the flour mixture, then add the mixture to the wet ingredients. Stir with a large spoon until just combined.
- Fill the muffin cups to 2/3-3/4 full and top each with a pecan half.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, rotating once, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let rest in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baked Goods
Keywords: vegan muffin, fall, pumpkin, vegan breakfast, maple, whole wheat