Skip the wings and break out the spaghetti. This rich, spicy, buttery Buffalo chicken pasta is a hot sauce lover’s dinner dream come true.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 cup + 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Texas Pete, Crystal, or Frank’s RedHot), divided
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 8 ounces whipped plain cream cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled good quality blue cheese (like gorgonzola or Roquefort), divided
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and light green parts, divided
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain, and set aside. Wipe out the pot and set it aside for later use.
- Smash the garlic gently but firmly with the flat side of a chef’s knife, so it’s still intact. Add 4 tablespoons butter and the garlic to a small saucepan and place it over medium-low heat. When the garlic begins to turn golden brown, remove it with a slotted spoon. Whisk in 1/4 cup hot sauce, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper. Rub the chicken breasts with the spice mixture, pressing to make sure it adheres.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place a heavy oven-proof cast iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the remaining butter and the olive oil. When the butter begins to foam and sizzle, add the chicken and sear until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and pour in the chicken stock and Buffalo sauce, whisking to scrape up any brown bits (or fond) from the bottom of the pan.
- Return the chicken to the pan and place in the oven. Bake until tender and cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer to a sturdy cutting board. Whisk the cream cheese and 1/4 cup blue cheese into the cooking liquid. Shred the meat, using two forks.
- Return the empty pasta pot to the stove over low heat, and add the cooked spaghetti, shredded chicken, 2 tablespoons green onions, and the creamy Buffalo sauce and stock mixture. Using tongs, toss to combine. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with the remaining blue cheese crumbles and green onions, and additional hot sauce if desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Pasta
Keywords: Buffalo sauce, buffalo chicken, spaghetti, blue cheese