Dress up your pasta for the season, and add our deliciously creamy Pumpkin Sage Sauce to your weekly menu rotation this fall.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup canned or homemade pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Retain 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid for later use before draining well and returning pasta to the pot.
- Combine cream, pumpkin puree, Parmesan, sage, salt, pepper, and 1/3 cup of the pasta water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add butter. Stir until melted.
- While the sauce is simmering, fry the sage leaves for garnish. Add oil to a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add sage leaves. Fry for about 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Remove from oil and set on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta and stir to combine. If needed, you can add the remaining reserved pasta water in to adjust the consistency as desired. Serve immediately, with a few fried sage leaves and additional Parmesan sprinkled on top of each bowl.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dinner
Keywords: fall, cream sauce, 30-minute meals, pumpkin, sage