Skip the red sauce and excite the palate on this week’s pasta night with our rigatoni with asparagus and balsamic, a tangy way to enjoy seasonal vegetables.
- 16 oz rigatoni pasta
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions. Drain well and place in a large serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, cut asparagus into 1-inch-long pieces. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat. Place in the oven on the middle rack and roast for 8-10 minutes.
- While asparagus and pasta are cooking, place a medium-sized heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring frequently, until reduced by almost half and thickened slightly.
- Stir butter and honey into vinegar reduction. Season lightly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook another minute, until butter is melted and incorporated completely.
- Add cooked asparagus to serving bowl with pasta. Pour balsamic sauce over the top and toss well to coat. Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop, Roasting
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: balsamic vinegar, balsamic reduction, rigatoni, macaroni, asparagus