This pasta with shaved Brussels and leeks is my new fave! It’s filled with good-for-you ingredients and tons of flavor. Perfect for the new year!
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- 3 Tbsp butter, vegan or otherwise
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 small or 1 large leek
- 1 lb shaved brussels sprouts*
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup shredded pecorino romano or parmesan cheese, optional
- red pepper flakes, optional
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain, then place in a large bowl and stir in the butter until it melts and evenly coats the noodles.
- While the noodles cook, slice the white and light green parts of the leek into 1/4″ slices. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then add the sliced leeks and cook until starting to brown in spots. Add the shaved Brussels sprouts and a pinch of salt and continue cooking, stirring often, until the they are bright green and a bit soft, about 8 minutes. They should still be a bit crunchy. Add more salt if necessary.
- While the Brussels cook, place the pine nuts in a small, dry skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, tossing very often, until lightly browned in spots and fragrant. This should only take a minute or two. Remove to a plate to cool.
- Finally, toss everything together with the noodles and serve.
– I bought two 10 oz bags of the pre-shaved brussels and used 1 1/2 of them. Way easier than shaving your own!
-If this is all you have for dinner, it’ll likely only feed 4.
Keywords: Brussels sprouts, pasta, pine nuts, leeks, healthy side