I’m keeping it short and sweet today. We had quite the “winter break” – AJ had 11 days off work and I worked more part-time than usual. We spent LOTS of time with family, went to a wedding, and slept in until 7 every morning. As the holidays usually go, it was relaxing and exhausting all at the same time, though all in a good way.
Since it’s the new year, I’m using that as an excuse to try to eat a little healthier. I know I can always use an excuse for that. So I’m starting off with this really simple pasta made with shaved Brussels sprouts and leeks.
I know you probably think I’m crazy for putting Brussels sprouts on my pasta, but you’ll come around. AJ did. And now he loves it.
The trick with this dish is to not overcook them. The reason you hate Brussels is because you’ve always had them overcooked, where they get that characteristic smell and gross flavor.
But if you prepare them just enough to soften but not enough to overdo them (al dente), they’re amazing. So keep an eye on them bad boys and if you smell that smell, take them off the heat stat.
And now I’m off to play with the dog, because after 11 days of dad-is-home bliss, she’s now stuck at home with boring ol’ me and is standing about 1 foot away holding a ball and staring at me. And I tried throwing the ball into another room to indicate that I didn’t want anything to do with it, but silly dog just brings it right on back.
Happy new year, everyone!Print
This pasta with shaved Brussels and leeks is my new fave! It’s filled with good-for-you ingredients and tons of flavor. Perfect for the new year!
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- 3 Tbsp butter, vegan or otherwise
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 small or 1 large leek
- 1 lb shaved brussels sprouts*
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup shredded pecorino romano or parmesan cheese, optional
- red pepper flakes, optional
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain, then place in a large bowl and stir in the butter until it melts and evenly coats the noodles.
- While the noodles cook, slice the white and light green parts of the leek into 1/4″ slices. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then add the sliced leeks and cook until starting to brown in spots. Add the shaved Brussels sprouts and a pinch of salt and continue cooking, stirring often, until the they are bright green and a bit soft, about 8 minutes. They should still be a bit crunchy. Add more salt if necessary.
- While the Brussels cook, place the pine nuts in a small, dry skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, tossing very often, until lightly browned in spots and fragrant. This should only take a minute or two. Remove to a plate to cool.
- Finally, toss everything together with the noodles and serve.
– I bought two 10 oz bags of the pre-shaved brussels and used 1 1/2 of them. Way easier than shaving your own!
-If this is all you have for dinner, it’ll likely only feed 4.
Keywords: Brussels sprouts, pasta, pine nuts, leeks, healthy side
If you tried this recipe and loved it, please rate it and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
If this Brussels sprout recipe pleased your palate, you’ll love these:
About Raquel Smith
Raquel is a whole foods enthusiast, an avid mountain biker, and a dog lover. She works by day at Food Blogger Pro and formerly maintained her food blog "My California Roots" (now being merged into Foodal).